Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Love's Folly in the Modern (Victorian) Era

I just finished reading The Other Mr. Darcy: Did you know Mr. Darcy had an American cousin? I checked it out from the Flagstaff library on a whim. I've been reading serious non-fiction almost constantly, so this was a breath of fresh air. I love Jane Austin, so, i figured, why not.

Book in hand at the kitchen table, I told my roommate - "I feel like I'm reading a Victorian version of Three's Company." And, it was just what I needed.

I read the book in two sittings, turning pages well into the night. I could not put the book down. Perhaps this book appeals to me because of my own recent romantic rough patches - I empathized with the heroine Caroline Bingley a little too well. And, of course, I found myself hoping for her and for myself, that everything would turn out as it should.

The Other Mr. Darcy: Did you know Mr. Darcy had an American cousin?

No comments: