Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Food is expensive


I thought the price of groceries were outrageous in Flagstaff because Flagstaff is on top of a mountain, sort of like an island surrounded by dirt. It costs money to get there, fuel to get up the hill. And, the growing season there is very short. I spent about 2 and a half years in Flagstaff - when I first moved there I was floored that food prices were similar to prices in NYC. Yes, rent is lower in Flagstaff, but considering a person must drive everywhere to get around, the price of gas, maintenance, and car insurance make the little mountain town almost as expensive as NY without the NY salary. Slow money drain.

So what the heck is happening? Fuel prices, of course, trickle down to food. Food (corn) grown as fuel raises the price of food. Climate change makes growing seasons unstable. Are mega Whole Foods stores everywhere (my friend Ed calls Whole Foods "Whole Paycheck") setting the prices for local grocery stores? I just went shopping at Publix and the produce is just about as expensive as Whole Foods and NOT organic. And citrus? I'm in Florida right now - the stuff on the shelves looks like crap.

I should rephrase my original statement. Whole, fresh, non-processed foods are expensive. The stuff loaded with chemicals, partially hydrogenated fats, and mystery ingredients are cheap. Eat cheaply now, pay later in medical bills.

Ah, I am looking forward to starting my dream garden. I want this year to begin it!

No comments: